The Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky (Elizovo) Airport dates back to 1948, when the airport was formed out of the Kamchatka Air Group. The company faced monumental challenges of developing inter-regional transportation.
An artificial runway was constructed in 1957. Scheduled flights of Tu-104 jets from Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky to Moscow with intermediate landings were initiated in January 1958. Development of a new airport terminal started in the same year.